Chocolate Chip Cookies


Chocolate chip cookies are one of the most standard things to bake.  If you can't bake a chocolate chip cookie, get out of the kitchen.  Seriously.  I used to strictly use pre-made Nestle Tollhouse dough or make the recipe on the back of the chocolate chips a la Phoebe on Friends.  If you haven't seen it...here's a tidbit for you...

Sorry for the poor quality but it's a must see.  Anyways, I don't really bake those anymore.  Partially because I haven't been baking much but also because I found a recipe that I enjoy more.  It's the Neiman Marcus Cookie recipe.  Yes, it's the one with the urban legend story about it costing $250 but no, that's not how much it costs, the ingredients are actually quite cheap.

The difference between the cookies is the Neiman's one has espresso powder and has a completely different consistency.  I really recommend trying it.  It's simple to whip up.  The recipe can be found here.




Since I can't have gluten anymore, I made it my mission to adapt the recipe to be gluten free.  I succeeded and made a deliciously chewy cookie.  I also subbed the sugar for agave to be even healthier. For those calorie conscious people, there's about 160 calories per cookie.

Here are the substitutions I made:

Flour Mix:

2/3 cup Brown Rice Flour
1/3 cup Tapioca Flour
1/3 cup Sorghum Flour
1/4 teaspoon Xantham Gum

*don't use just one type of gluten free flour, a blend works better...and don't forget the xantham gum...it really makes a difference in the consistency

Sugar:

3/4 cup raw Agave instead of granulated sugar and brown sugar

Chocolate Chips:

2 cups Vegan Chocolate Chips


Other than that....follow the recipe as is and pour a glass of milk (almond milk for me!) and enjoy.

~Emily~





0 comments:

Leave a Comment