Summer Salad

I like to think of myself as a salad pro at this point.  I eat at least one salad a day and they are never identical.  I try something new every time but I have a general skeleton that I stick to.  It's refreshing to eat a salad on a warm summer night so head to the market and grab your favorite veggies and let's get started.



Summer Salad (serves 1-2)

a handful of baby greens
a handful of spinach
1 persian cucumber
1/2 avocado
a handful of cherry tomatoes
two large spoonfuls of garbanzo beans
1/2 red pepper
1/2 white onion or maui onion (the sweeter the better)
1 medium sized lemon
olive oil
crushed garlic
sea salt
goat cheese

Put the greens, spinach, tomatoes and garbanzo beans in a bowl.  Slice the cucumber, avocado, pepper and onion.  Add vegetables to the others in the bowl.  Squeeze the juice of the lemon onto the salad.  Drizzle some olive oil.  Sprinkle a pinch or so of salt.  Scoop a teaspoon of garlic.  Add as much goat cheese as you desire.  Toss together.  Enjoy.


You can also choose to sautee the pepper and onion before hand.  I think it makes it sweeter and adds a lot to the salad.  In a small saucepan with some olive oil and garlic, cook the chopped vegetables for about 5 minutes on medium heat.

Sometimes I also add a little Annie's Lemon & Basil dressing to add some other flavors.

You can choose your protein option also.  I really like hard-boiled eggs and grilled chicken breasts chopped up and added.

Obviously you can add whatever you would like to the salad but this is just how I enjoy mine and I promise it's delicious!

What do YOU like in your salads?

0 comments:

Leave a Comment